Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Black Helicopters Put Me On Edge

I haven't made a movie since last fall, so I took my camera with me yesterday on a hike up Mt. Yonah in the north Georgia mountains. It was a perfect day and I'm happy to report that the new (to me) trail is fantastic and a huge improvement over the old arrangement. Previously, access up the mountain was via a gated private road that is maintained with public funds (through the Army) but closed to all vehicles with the exception of the people who own cabins along the road- another raw deal for the taxpayer. It's nice to now have a dedicated parking area and trail maintained by the Forest Service (although secured through a purchase by the Access Fund)- a use of public funds that can actually be enjoyed by the public.

The mountain is used by the Army Rangers for training in climbing and rope technique and a helicopter was buzzing around the peak yesterday, even landing once at the lower LZ. Next time I go back, I'm definitely taking some ropes and gear to take advantage of some of the low-angle and heavily bolted routes found all over the main face.

I had plenty to shoot video of and it was an easy decision to put all that Georgia scenery to a Georgia soundtrack. Take your shakey-cam motion sickness pills and enjoy.



Mt. Yonah from dennyswaitress on Vimeo.

8 comments:

Courtney said...

Very nice, except for the part with all the ants eating the worm. Eeewwwww.

Lynn said...

I wonder why I can't view vimeo on my Mac. Sounds like Courtney was successful. Hmmmm...

shelleycoughlin said...

I dig your mini films. They make me feel like I'm doing something active, from my couch.

Jacob said...

I liked the video. Funny that after a week of trail maintenance work that I kept thinking about what needed to be done to the trail during parts of your video. After all, briers can take over the trail in just one season.

I also keep thinking about the fact that you're the only person on your film crew and that every shot of you hiking involves you hiking that section twice.

By the way, I think you would have loved the SWEAT Crew this week. If the work dries up before the end of the summer and you're interested, let me know. They're trying to get more people for the later crews and I can get you the information to sign up for them. You won't have to give them a lot of heads up. A week or two at most probably.

Julie said...

I agree with Jacob. I admire your willingness to hike each section twice in order to get us varying shots.

I also disagree with your assessment of the bridge. That can't possibly be THE most unnecessary bridge around.

Jacob said...

I'd say that any bridge across something even a short person could step across ties for the world's most unnecessary bridge.

The Modern Gal said...

Love it. Except for the spinny bit at 3:34.

Maybe the bridge was decorative? When I lived south of Nashville, there was a big plot of land I often drove by that had a decorative gate. No fence. No evidence there had ever been a fence. It didn't even seem to serve any decor purpose. To this day it still baffles me.

Traveling Em said...

Nice video. I'm hoping we can get in a hike or two when I'm in town, maybe, yes? I arrive June 25 and am around until July 8, then again July 25 - Aug 1. You still got my cell number?