Monday, May 12, 2008

Guilt-ridden but well-traveled

Today, kids, I set a new personal and office record in Zuma: 111,000 points. That’s right: my new job requires even less of me than the last one. I’m still trying to decide if I should be blogging there or if it’s worth risking someone else finding my blog since the computers are shared, but I sure have developed my free online gaming skills. I also hold the office Skee-Ball record. I’m the shit. Bejeweled 2 better watch out.

In other gaming news, the lady and I went out this evening and played a little tennis, something we’ve never done together. There are a couple of courts just down the road that are almost never in use but there were a couple of little kids running around on them when we got there and wanted to play with us. That’s kind of tough since they didn’t have rackets, but we let them serve as ballgirls instead. Win-win, right? Courtney did let one of them take a few swings before they had to go. Neither one of us is overly skilled in racket sports, but it was nice to get out in the sun for a bit.

This past weekend, we made it our fifth weekend in a row spent in the great thirsty state of Georgia. That gets old. This weekend will be spent somewhere less than three hours away, damnit. Or at least somewhere other than Georgia. I hear Knoxville’s nice.

In other news, I just steeped the first pitcher of tea of the year, destined to be iced, of course. And with that sentence, I believe this is the most mundane post I’ve ever written. I would like to assure you, dear readers who by your presence have apparently not given up on me entirely yet, that I intend to get my blogging back on track. This very week, in fact, I pledge to finally deliver on the meme Allie tagged me with explaining five ways I honored Earth Day…a month ago. I’m telling you this now so that I have extra incentive to actually follow through. I’m also going to figure out some sort of contest soon so that I can pass on the book I won in one of Allie’s contests. Any ideas will be appreciated.

There, now there are two things I absolutely have to do or else The Prettiest Denny’s Waitress will also be the most shameful and disingenuous. Hold me to it.

And I continue to apologize and feel like a failure for not commenting on your blogs like I once did. This will also change. I should probably be looking for a job, too.

13 comments:

Allie said...

I have to say, I've missed you, sir. :)

But I don't think you should feel like a failure over it. It's interesting, isn't it, when a hobby or pastime starts to feel like an obligation.

Sid said...

"The most mudnae post I have ever written" Truer words have never been spoken.

Contest???? Ooooh you have my attention now.

Julie said...

Who are you kidding? Putting something in writing on your blog does not ensure that you will overcome your own, special kind of laziness.

And also, I have a fantastic contest idea: Create your own church marquee message. If that's not enough of a challenge, you can actually create your own church bulletin.

It is inspired by the church a mile from my house that comes up with a new gem of wisdom every week. Without fail. Last week (honoring Mother's Day) was my favorite: Parents are just babysitters for God.

Anonymous said...

You are among the living! ;)

I'm impressed with your Zuma score too! :)

Chris said...

Eh, so you're boring. What can you do? I recommend drowning your sorrows in a game of Family Feud online.

Stefanie said...

I am feeling exceedingly boring lately as well. Luckily I have a date with a 44-year-old bald man later this week. That should be good for some new material, right?

Glad your semi-unemployment is treating you so well.

The Modern Gal said...

I've been finding it hard to stay in Knoxville on the weekends lately myself.

I have a thing for jigzone.com. Jigsaw puzzles without the annoyance of having to turnover each piece to find what you're looking for.

shelleycoughlin said...

Did you win an office trophy for your Zuma score?

Thanks for the iced tea idea. It's still only at the 60 degree mark here, but we're getting close to iced tea weather and I like to be prepared.

Aaron said...

Job schmob, dude. Job schmob.

Unknown said...

Skee ball is such an underrated skill. Good for you man.

Anonymous said...

I have had my share of weekends away from Knoxville too! It's crazy. I have been out of town for every single sundown thus far. Weird.

Miss your presence on my blog but I've been kind of busy lately myself so have been sort of MIA around the internets.

Okay, so contest? Haiku contest? Virtual scavenger hunt?

Mickey said...

allie- Yes, but it's an obligation I really want to keep because I enjoy it.

sid- Aw, you didn't have to agree with me.

julie- Great idea, but I think that's a little too much work just to win a book. That sounds more like cash-prize territory. But then I'm lazy and need that kind of motivation.

dianne- Yeah, I'm pretty good.

chris- I'll have to work that in to the rotation.

stefanie- You make me laugh.

mg- Plus you don't get puzzle neck.

npw- No trophy. Just the kind of respect that can only otherwise be had by shanking someone in the yard.

aaron- Schmob, indeed.

surviving myself- Virtual skee-ball at that.

em- Yeah, I've been jonesing for some Sundown, too. North Mississippi Allstars might bring me out this week. And I like the haiku idea.

Anonymous said...

Give yourself a break if you must, but then COME BACK!